Monday, July 14, 2008

I Hate Going To the Dentist


The title says it all. I hate going to dentists. There's few things in life I enjoy less. A couple bad experiences have left real bad tastes in my mouth (lame pun totally intended). The feeling I have going to the dentist is the same one I have every time I take my car for an oil change or to an auto shop--I'm just waiting for them to tell me all kinds of things wrong that are going to cost me a lot of money. Only with the dentist add possible physical pain and nervousness. In fact, since I made my appointment Saturday I was really anxious (and this was just for a cleaning, mind you) and have been sense.
While I was in there I was shaking most the time. I was expecting the dentist to tell me all sorts of things wrong. It was because of this I put off the appointment for a year. Fortunately, I got a mostly clean bill of health--two tiny cavities that can be quickly and easily filled with hardly any drilling. Now I feel better, but the irrational fear of dentists remain. I literally have to say prayers to myself to get through these appointments.


So, how about some of you? What irrational fears do you have and any fun stories to back it up? Or am I the only one who still fears these sorts of things post-childhood?

Events Update
Also, by the way, nothing set in stone for Wed. nights until the regular fall program starts back up, but do come to the Car Cruise this Friday night. Also, if anyone wants to informally throw things together, I'm down with that. I may do the same so check the blog regularly. Also, be a good citizen and subscribe to this blog so you can read updates right after they are posted.

4 comments:

Nathaniel FitzGerald said...

Whenever I'm driving and someone in front of me throws their cigarette out of their window and the cinders crash on the pavement, I'm afraid that when I drive over it, somehow the cinders will ignite the fumes of my gas tank, and my car will explode.

Unknown said...

I was just at the dentist today and have never bled so much in my life. So much for not being nervous. I informed my wife of my experience and she called me a sissy.

Melissa-this-is-real said...

Hahaha yea I am very scard of wierd people takeing my picture because when I was really small we were over at Niagera Falls and well this scary forgin lady came up to me and she liked something about my hair and wanted to take my picture andI rain screaming and crying!!....

also I have a fear of lawn nomes they just really scary me when I was littel I was told they would eat my face!! and I Havent liked them sence....I thought they were real people at once to!

Michele said...

Just for the record he was being a sissy. :) I love going to the dentist - I like that nice clean feeling you have when it's all done. I know most people will think that's weird and I'm ok with that.